personal information matters
May 11, 2018
This site collect personally identifiable information about you (your “Data”) through:
- the use of comment and contact forms
- the provision of your details to me either online or offline
The elements of your Data that may collect include:
- E-mail address
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit. Web beacons or other similar files can also do the same thing. The term “cookies” using in this policy refers to all files that collect information in this way.
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help the website to remember your username and preferences, analyse how well the website is performing, or even allow me to recommend content that I believe will be most relevant to you.
Certain cookies contain personal information – for example, if you click to “remember me” when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most cookies won’t collect information that identifies you, and will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use my websites, or a user’s general location.
What sort of cookies does this site use?
On this site, I utilise cookies to analyse how the visitors use my websites and to monitor website performance. For example, to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
I also use or allow third parties to serve cookies. For example, like many websites, I use Google Analytics to help me monitor the website traffic. I may also enable third parties to serve cookies to help to identify fraudulent or non-human traffic on some of pages. I may also use third party cookies to help with market research, revenue tracking, improving site functionality like AddThis share buttons.
Can a website user block cookies?
As explained above, cookies help you to get the most out of this websites.
However, if you do wish to disable cookies then please follow the instructions on these pages:
- Clear, enable, and manage cookies in Chrome
- Microsoft Edge, browsing data, and privacy
- Enable and disable cookies that websites use to track your preferences, Firefox
If your comment does not immediately appear on the site after posting, it may have been flagged for review. There are a number of things which will get your comment flagged for review, please keep that in mind before resubmitting the comment multiple times or contacting me about it.
- Use of any of the curse words and/or slurs on the blacklist will automatically flag a comment so it won’t appear on the site. Sometimes these words are used as part of a good discussion, these comments will be approved by a moderator when appropriate.
- Using a Disqus account without a verified email address will automatically flag a comment.
- Fluctuations in the space time continuum. Sometimes things just get auto-flagged and don’t know why.
- Comments can also be flagged for review by other visitors (please do not abuse this option for other users you simply disagree with, it makes our moderation jobs a lot harder).
Transfer of Data
The Internet is a global environment. Using the Internet to collect and process personal data necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. Therefore, by browsing this website and communicating electronically with me you acknowledge and agree to the processing of personal data in this way.
User Access and Control of Data
If you wish to amend any of the Data which I hold about you, please visit the “Contact” page of this website.
All traffic (transferral of files) between this website and your browser is encrypted and delivered over HTTPS.
Changes to this Policy